ABOUT THE PROJECT:
The project "School of Energy 2.0" is being realised by the Association "Energy Efficient Cities of Ukraine" (EECU), supported by the project “Establishment of Energy Agencies in Ukraine”, implemented by „Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH“ on behalf of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety.
Project duration: December 2016 – December 2017
Aim of the project is to improve energy efficiency and energy saving at schools by strengthening pupils' and teachers’ capacity in energy monitoring and management, sensitising them on energy topics and motivating them to self-engage in this area.
The project involves 15 Ukrainian schools. The participants of the project were selected on a competitive basis among those schools which had participated during the first project stage. In order to be shortlisted, they had to meet a number of requirements, such assuccessful work during the first stage of the “School of Energy”, creative and meaningful ideas for the second stage, availability of energy managers in the local city councils, who are willing and able to support the work of the schools, and more.
The selected schools are:
Berdyansk - Boarding
Kamyanets-Podilskiy – School №5
Rivne – School №12
Vinnytsya – School №18
Kolomya – School №9
Hlyboka – Lyceum
Zaporizhya - School №20
Konotop – School №2
Sumy – School №5
Zaporizhya – Boarding
Kramatorsk – School №16
Kherson – School №21
Zmiyiv – Lyceum №1
Lviv – School “Nadiya”
Cherkasy – School №3
Recent achievements of the project:
Schools launch energy monitoring
At every project school, energy teams consisting of one teacher and a group of students were instructed on how to conduct energy management. With the help of a special methodology and a professional software, they have started a daily energy monitoring, including tracking energy consumption indicators (energy meters), inserting the data into the software and analyzing them with the help of the technical experts.
The following results are planned:
- 15 teachers are trained on energy monitoring and energy management, including the work with a special software
- 15 municipal energy managers are trained on how to provide best support to schools, and establish a close cooperation with the project schools
- at least 200 students receive the title of "Young Energy Managers", carrying out a daily monitoring of energy performance at their schools and analyzing the data
- 15 Ukrainian schools establish daily energy monitoring (including electricity, heating, water, gas) as well as energy management
- 15 energy teams compile energy monitoring reports with appropriate recommendations to be implemented at their schools
- 15 teachers are trained on how to involve the public through innovative advocacy work in the field of energy saving and energy efficiency
- 15 "School Energy Days" are conducted as central information events at the project schools, in order to spread knowledge and experience
- at least 100 schools will be involved at the "School Energy Days" through interactive activities and workshops, on the basis on which these schools can start their own projects and activities
YOUNG ENERGY AUDIT'S SET (YEAS):
The Young Energy Auditor's Set (YEAS) is a simple, inexpensive and practical set of tools for pupils. With it, pupils can analyse the energy performance of their schools on their own and through this receive practical skills in energy saving and energy efficiency.
YEAS was developed within the first phase of "School of Energy". Every project school received one YEAS and is now using it for the daily work
Manual for YEAS (UA)
As one part of the project, the energy teams consisting of pupils and the accompanying teachers conduct a daily monitoring of all parameters of energy consumption, using the support and training materials provided to them.
The pupils insert all data taken from meters (electricity, heating, water, gas) into a special online program developed by the company uMuni.
Follow the daily monitoring on the web page:
As a part of "School of Energy 2.0", the technical experts of the project have developed a methodology for energy management at schools, based on relevant experience at municipal level in EU and Ukraine.
This methodology is a general guideline for the administration, teachers and students of the schools and will help implementing the schools' energy management system step by step .
PROJECT PUBLICATIONS (in Ukrainian language):